Thursday, June 27, 2013

Day 21, Difficult Text

Today, I love them. Everyone was just so sweet. Our bonds are absolutely getting stronger. Over breakfast, lunch, dinner, and throughout the whole class, there were so much interactions, sharing of traditions, histories, politics, cultures, wanting to learn from the other faiths as well from our own traditions.

Controversial religious scriptures and texts from the Hebrew and Christian’s bible were given and we had to somehow discuss its context then and today in small groups. I have learned an abundance of new things. Most of it are surprising and scary, not something that I would ever be able to agree. For example, on Moses command to kill all women and children during a particular battle. That is disturbing.

I raised my concern about my methodology approaching the Quran. We would refer to scholars first instead of we ourselves determine to interpret a verse. As for them, most of them do not do that. They interpret it however they see fit. No guidelines at all. It was definitely not easy for me even if it from their scriptures whom they considered as holy.


Well, that is one major difference between us. They seem fine with that. Oh, I have also learned that almost all of them are ignoring their text. The Jews does not believe in the Hereafter. It is surprising although it mentioned in their holy scripture. May Allah guide them and us all.